9.16.2010

c Chicago. week 11. part 1. doppel-c the set designer.

c,
thanks so much for sending me a care package! it has not arrived yet, but i check every day. i am feeling much better this week. however, I think C might have caught my cold. she is sick in bed and is so busy, that I have been having to be her doppel-c. As doppel-c, I went to my first theatre tech! at Steep Theatre on the production of Helen of Troy. C is the set designer. So, for a night, I was the doppel-set designer.

I started the evening discussing with the director, J, all the notes that I saw. The major set piece is a girls room. I requested some more pink clothing. And maybe a poster of the c's (shameless self promotion...)
Then I went over to the Lighting Designer's area and discussed the arc of the beach moments with BW. I also mentioned to him that my favorite color is BRIGHT pink, like my shirt. And could we please get more pink into this show? (I think he liked this idea.) With the actors I discussed intentions and how props can help them out in terms of location and character. I loved that pretty pink skirt! (go DB!) After a "run", (although no one ran...???) I sat down with the lead actress, C, and told her how remarkable I find her. Also, I told her she is beautiful. Seemed like most of the play that was all she needed...so finally I just told her. Also, she made me cry (in a good cathartic way). Then the director J and us designers sat around, drank some wine, and discussed our thoughts. I really liked that part.
more soon,
c

No comments:

Post a Comment